Re: [TowerTalk] What rotor should I use

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What rotor should I use
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:59:56 -0700

Just look at the physics of it. Whipping of the elements represents stored energy, just as in a spring. If that energy is released at the end of travel it adds to the momentum of the elements that would otherwise be due only to their mass. I'm not saying that aluminum elements don't whip, but any antenna with lots of whip is going to put more stress on a rotator than an antenna with less whip ... assuming the masses are equivalent.

By the way, given the material properties of fiberglass versus aluminum, and without knowing the exact figures, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that fiberglass elements also have more mass than comparable aluminum elements.

73,
Dave   AB7E