Re: [TowerTalk] Slack Crank Up Cable

To: "Ned K1GU" <thewalruswaspaul@bellsouth.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Slack Crank Up Cable
From: "VE6WZ_Steve" <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 19:58:24 -0600
Ned:

I have replaced the cables on my HDX 589mdpl three times.
Slack on the pull down cable is a common issue after replacing the cables.
The slack is only evident when the tower is fully up. (obviously)
Solution:
When the tower is fully extended: 1.) loosen the cable nut holding the pull down cable on the drum 2.) pull the slack in on the pull down cable using a come-a-long, (or by hand) and 3.) wrap the slack tightly on the cable drum and re-tighten the cable bolt on the drum. Sometimes this is required a few times over the first year to fully stabilize the cable slack. I must confess I do not know why this happens, but I suspect it may be because of stretch in the lift cables.

de steve ve6wz.
http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/intro.htm