Re: [TowerTalk] Very new to this

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Very new to this
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 18:45:04 -0400
On 7/3/2013 10:54 AM, Larry Loen wrote:
I agree with N4ZR here.

Is this the force 12 LPt1242?  Constructed of square Aluminum tubing?

Force 12 lists a crank up of square Aluminum, low profile tower, but I find no guyed towers listed. while most of the comments on here are about guyed towers, There is a huge difference in base requirements.

That was all I could find on the LPT1242.

Find out what is required, especially of the base.  It isn't just something
to keep the tower from sliding around.  It is the _foundation_ of the whole
tower.  The house bracket can be thought of as merely an alternative to
guying at the corresponding height.

The base of a guyed tower serves only two purposes. One is to prevent lateral movement (sliding) and the other is too keep the tower from sinking...Period! ROHN even sold a "dirt base" for the 25G for years. However the proliferation of zoning regulations and the dirt base is no longer offered. The wide variety of soil conditions was also a factor.

The base for a "crank up is substantially more complex and must be massive enough to resist any overturning moments within the wind ratings of the tower with antennas. Much of the size depends on soil conditions and salt flats, or marshes usually make a very poor location for a self supporting tower.

There are two bases for the smaller towers. In one the base is set in the concrete, In the other there is a single pin coming up out of the concrete. A steel plate , with a hole in the center fits over the pin and the plate holds the legs of the tower. This is called a "Pier Pin Base". These are slight over simplifications, but fit the general descriptions of the bases.

The nice thing about small towers with relatively small antennas is the minimal base required for a safe installation of guyed towers.

I'm not advocating the use of a dirt base and particularly so in a salt marsh.

In the past I have installed full a size 5L 20 meter KLM, 6L 15 meter KLM and a 7L 10 meter Wilson on 40 foot guyed towers on dirt bases They were up over a decade with no problems and stood through an ice storm back around 76, or 78 that took out over half a mile of power line just down the road.

Check with your local zoning board for requirements.

The problem on here is we really need more information about the tower and any information is not offered in a professional capacity. Heed at your own risk.

As others have said "Up the ?Tower" would be a good investment.

The base AND the bracket needs to be engineered by somebody who knows, you
know, engineering.  That definitely includes how the bracket is attached.

It needs to meet zoning requirements. That may or may not require an engineers stamp and by all means follow the manufacturers instructions,... IF the are stringent enough to meet local code.

Most house brackets for small towers are pretty light.

73

and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)