[TowerTalk] Force 12 C3E

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C3E
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 11:25:19 -0500
I am having a odd problem.  I have been using the Force 12 C3 and C3E for
many years and really like the antenna. It is simple and straightforward.
The only problems that I have had with it have been the result of lightning
strikes and then it was just the coax and not the antenna.

This particular antenna, I have had up for 11 years with it being taken down
for a lightning strike on one occasion. It has been working just fine (for 3
years) until a couple of weeks ago when I notice that in the morning the SWR
is a little high in the mornings on 20 M.  SWR is fine on 15 and 10. It
appears the antenna resonant freq has moved up about 200 KHz. After I use it
for a few minutes the SWR moves back into the CW band and is fine and stays
that way the rest of the day. I have visually inspected the antenna (kinda
hard because it is 125 feet high). It seems to me that it might have
something to do with humidity since it is VERY humid here at night. I have
noticed the Purple Martins (many!)have decided to spend a lot of time on the
antennas on the tower.

I am assuming that the problem is not in the balun and coax since the
antenna is working like usual on 15 and 10. I am wondering if maybe a bird
died and is laying in between the ground and hot side of the driven element
and the humidity causes the problem until I "fry" it with the amp in the
morning. OR... whatever.  I guess it is not a huge problem and I am not
interested in taking the antenna down just for this.  Any of your deep
thinkers have a thought?

Bill W5VX