Re: [TowerTalk] lightning protection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning protection
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 00:26:53 -0400
On 7/7/2013 11:07 PM, Spencer wrote:
I live near a 8000' mountain that has several repeater systems mounted
on rock. You should
visit a place like this to see  elaborate ground/lighting protection
systems.
I have seen the result of a lightning strike on a glass block wall, a
hole large enough to put my fist through,
the glass was melted.

All of my stuff gets disconnected outside the building.

Ideally, you disconnect the stuff and then ground it.

I know that my tower took 17 visually verified the first 6 years with every thing still hooked up and no damage. However, now that I have patch panels, I just can't leave things connected.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Spencer W1GAK