Re: [TowerTalk] Sourcing PVC

To: "Art Greenberg" <art@artg.tv>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sourcing PVC
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:33:35 -0700
Art Greenberg wrote:

> I don't know why anyone would want to slip one PVC pipe into another,
> unless its to make a mast. If its for a plumbing or conduit application,

I forgot to mention that I was talking about inserting an ALUMINUM
irrigation pipe into a PVC pipe.  I use assemblies made from PVC
pipe to join together aluminum irrigation pipes of the same or
difference sizes.  The joint can be electrically insulated, which
is often helpful, and if you don't want it to be, you can just
jumper it with a wire.  This joining technique is also more tolerant
of imperfect used irrigation pipe than "precision" insert made on
a lathe.

Speaking of inserting one PVC pipe into another, it turns out
that 1 1/2 inch IPS schedule 40 PVC pipe fits nicely inside
2 inch IPS schedule 80 (eighty) PVC pipe to make a sliding/swiveling
joint.  I use this for making tilt bases for verticals.  You
can also use it for making an azimuth bearing for a rotatable
loop, etc.  For the 2 inch pipe, you can use electrical conduit,
which is easier to find in schedule 80.

Rick N6RK