Re: [TowerTalk] Tower grounding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower grounding
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 18:55:30 -0700

Your hysterics aside, almost all of that is patently false, and in most locations is directly contrary to code. You really need to study what a Ufer ground is and why they work.

By the way, this same old wives tale comes up every so often here and on other forums, and each time it does I spend about a half hour doing Google searches to find any documented instances of a block of concrete exploding because of steam expansion from a lightning strike. I have found TONS of discussion and endless repetitions of the same old exhortation you just made, but not a single first hand account of exploding concrete due to steam. Concrete is quite brittle and fractures easily, and I could far better imagine that the intense thermal shock generated by a lightning hit would instead be the culprit. I have indeed witnessed first hand a lightning strike blasting a chunk out of solid granite rock alongside the road I was driving on (scared the hell out of me), and I guarantee that rock was dry as a bone.

Dave   AB7E