[TowerTalk] remote tuner Vs lumped constants

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] remote tuner Vs lumped constants
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 00:47:18 -0400
I have several 160 and 75 meter antennas. I'd like to be able to cover most og these bands with the least involvement from the shack after the initial set-up.

I run QRO, so matching low impedance antennas like a half sloper can be problematic. Yet I'd like to lower the SWR at the feed point so a solid state amp would be happy and have the ability to switch to the band or rapidly QSY.

Most of the remote tuners I've looked at come up a bit shu with QRO let alonr with a high SWR when covering a large portion of the band.

74 is a center fed, half wave, sloping fan dipole

I have the option of an auto tuner, or switched capacitance at the feed point.

I'd prefer the auto tuner approach, but is there such an animal that will cover 160 reliably on QRO?

73

Roger (K8RI)