[TowerTalk] Crank-up tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank-up tower
From: "Craig Clark" <jcclark@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 11:31:47 -0400
I had a Tri-ex W67 for many years. It was lost in a micro-burst due to
hairline cracks at the base. I never knew they were there and the only way
they could have been found was to have "magna-flux" the tubes.

After installation, I learned that the joint between the top section and the
next were slightly bent and the top section would not properly nest when
being lowered. I was able to get a fire department ladder truck and designed
a positive pull down to ensure that when lowered everything would go as
designed. Suffice to say it used 7x7 aircraft cable secured to the bottom of
the top section, a pulley at the base, wire grip, chain and a come-a-long.

When I had to work on the tower when nested, I always blocked the sections
with a 4x4 post and ladder. I never climbed the tower itself.

Craig K1QX

Craig Clark K1QX
QX Electronics
PO Box 209