Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup Danger

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup Danger
From: Tom H Childers <n5ge@n5ge.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 15:21:29 -0500
My experience with crank-up towers:

At around the first of July I went to another ham's home to help him
with some antenna work on his 40 ft crank-up, which was cranked down
to 20 ft.

I belted up around the outside-side of the tower with a waist belt
harness.  With the tower being difficult to climb due to very little
to stand on, I made it up to height where the top of my head was even
with the top of the tower.  As I tried to get a footing to get my
head above the top of the tower both of my feet slipped from the
toe-hold I had.

I slid down the face of the tower with the rope holding me against
the tower, landed on a seven foot step ladder with my but, bounced
off of that and landed at the base of the tower standing up.

I was not seriously injured, but had a lot of scratches and cuts
caused by my chest, elbows, hands and one knee (the leg that slipped
first) contacting the tower on the way down .  If I had been leaning
forward with my head over the top of the tower, the fall would have
probably beheaded me or broken my neck.

I will go back and finish the job when the WX here gets cooler, but
this time I will take a 23 foot ladder with me and tie it to the
tower on the way up.

The moral of the story is: Never try to climb a nested crank-up if
you can't get the arch of your foot on a cross piece, and preferably
climb it with a ladder that reaches the top of the lower section.  If
you can't get a good foothold, raise the tower until you can and then
block the tower from moving down with something that can't be smashed
by the tower.  If I ever have to block a tower from sliding down I
WILL use a 4x4 to do it.

By the way, the gentleman I was helping said that he didn't know
there were that many cuss words in the entire English language.

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
Licensed since 1976