Re: [TowerTalk] FIRST TOWER & 2ND FLOOR SHACK --HELP

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FIRST TOWER & 2ND FLOOR SHACK --HELP
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 09:59:51 -0700
It shouldn't matter where the line of demarcation is between open coax and the
coax running through the conduit.  Whether you run the conduit to the top of
the tower and put your polyphasers at that point OR run the conduit to the base
of the tower and place the polyphasers at that point OR run conduit through the
house and place the polyphasers at the entrance point its all about providing
that alternate path for lightning that doesn't pass through your hamshack.  At
that boundary point between coax and coax in conduit nothing should pass that
isn't decoupled to provide that alternate path for the lightning.  Don't
carefully ground and polyphaser all the coax cables at this point and then just
loop the rotor cable around it which would provide an unfiltered path for
lightning straight into your shack.

Not sure how large the inductively coupled component of a strike would be but I
would assume that it would be smaller on your short run of coax as compared to
the coupling to very long power lines that are probably coming into your home
without any filtering.

Earl
N8SS

Message: 8