Re: [TowerTalk] shrink w/adhesive

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] shrink w/adhesive
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:18:46 -0400
On 8/9/2013 6:42 AM, David Robbins wrote:
If it is stored in a not too hot place it will probably last much longer
than that on a shelf.  I think the problem is if you store it too warm it
seems to start shrinking very slowly so it may not meet the original size
spec, but it should still melt and shrink to the end size.  I was given a
box of it that was 'expired' probably 10 years ago and it still seals up
just fine.

Just remember, it is fairly easy to put on, but almost impossible to take
off... and it does require significant heat to properly melt and shrink, the
cigarette lighter you use for plain little shrink tube won't do it, think
more like propane torch or professional heat gun.

Yup, your wife's hair dryer wont cut it<:-)) I use one of the commercial heat guns with a number of replaceable tips. It's also good for removing old paint from houses. It's quite capable of setting that wood on fire or at least charring it. Still it takes a bit of time to shrink the tube. If you live in the North it's good for thawing pipes too<:-))

This may be an over simplification for many, but As David points out, it take the proper tools, which fortunately are relatively inexpensive (less than your wife's hair dryer)and easy to us, although there may be a slight learning curve for some. Above all, do not heat the coax. Heat the tubing from the front of the connector and move toward the coax. Dwell too long on a spot and you can end up melting, or drastically softening the dielectric.

If there is a chassis connector involved, I but the Heat Shrink up against the chassis end with some pressure and start heating from there and move toward the coax, keeping the heat directed at the tube. When the end shrinks properly, there should be a complete at the coax. ring of hot melt glue squeezed out. Try to cut the ends square.

For splices I've found that starting in the middle and working out, works best. You can start at one end but it just works better to start in the middle finishing one side before doing the other.

73,

Roger (K8RI)

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net