Re: [TowerTalk] Tex Com LMR-600 Connectors

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tex Com LMR-600 Connectors
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 20:17:57 -0400
On 8/8/2013 11:54 PM, K8RI wrote:

I did say "years old weatherproofing".

We are looking at two different philosophies.
The problem with this approach is it tells you "after the fact" and if
the seal does not bond to the connector, just a slight difference in
winding can cause a tiny wrinkle that will work with capillary action.
Unless the cable fails, you don't know if it was leaking until you take
the covering off the connector. I'll grant that with just a little
practice a failure should be rare.  However, I'd guess that there are
many who read this list that probably use fewer connectors in a lifetime
than you or I in a year. With that many connectors, weather proofing is
a high priority for both of us.

  With the hot melt glue bonding the heat shrink to the connector plus
the very tight fit, I've never seen one leak.plus it adds considerable
mechanical strength to the connection.

We aren't going to change each others minds, but I just have more faith
in a bonded waterproofing even if the connectors do look like crap after
removing the weather proofing <:-))

Look, I purchase and use thousands of dollars of heat shrink a year to satisfy customers.

On my own station, I normally don't use it, unless to improve strain relief when needed.

Please consider the possibility that your opinion has not been informed by proper training in other methods.

-Steve K8LX