Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp Connector Suggestion

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp Connector Suggestion
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 23:58:37 -0400
On 8/9/2013 11:45 PM, Bryan Swadener wrote:
For RG-58, I use ONLY Amphenol pn 83-58FCP-RFX "Field Crimp Plugs".
They're comparably priced with 83-1SP + UG175 (plug & reducer).
They require no soldering and no crimp tool. They can be installed
with a small pair of "pointy" wire cutters. They're perfect for FD/portable
use where you don't want to lug a crimper around and don't have a soldering
iron.

They're best with RG-58 that has a stranded center conductor.
If the cable jacket is hard (such as when it's cold), it helps the
plug to slide on if the jacket is warmed a bit first. Unfortunately,
there appears to be no equivalent for other cables.

8X is actually easier to use "foe me" as it's very flexible and has a bit larger stranded center conductor, You can also find foil plus braid shield version. Unfortunately I have a nearly full 500 ft reel of the standard 8X.

It's Davis RF (http://www.davisrf.com/), not Davis Electric

Oops! I stand corrected, I've only been doing business with Steve for years and still get it wrong even with all the connectors and coax he's hunted up for me.

I too, like it for jumpers, but prefer the foil plus braid. I also use it for equipment grounds by cutting back the jacket, pulling the braid back, removing about an inch of dielectric, pulling the braid back over the center conductor, twisting it tight and crimping a ring terminal on to it. Then running it to the station ground buss.

73,

Roger (K8RI)