Re: [TowerTalk] Comparing K9AY Loop and KB7GF Shared Apex Loop Array?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Comparing K9AY Loop and KB7GF Shared Apex Loop Array?
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 17:37:11 -0400
Eric

I have been using a rotatable K9AY Loop on a old HyGain Rotator. For high angle incoming signals, it is not too bad. I also use a 6 ft diameter coax tune loop. It is very very quiet. I can hear DX on the coax loop that I cannot hear on the K9AY Loop. The only things better would be a beverage which I have no real estate for and also the Hi-Z vertical array. My Hi-Z is a dual 4 square at 45 degrees rotation between the 2 4 squares. It occupies 80 x 80 feet square. My best DX on it was EY8MM , could not hear him on either loop. I had to buy the empty lot next to me for the Hi-Z. Whereas the rotatable K9AY loop uses a 15 ft radius and is about 50 feet from the TX vertical. The coax loop is about 22 feet from the TX vertical in the opposite direction.

To see these antennas, go to http://qrz.com/db/K3ZXL and scroll down to the links for these antennas. I can answer any other questions if you need.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com