Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x7' hole in sandy soil

To: <jeffhook@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x7' hole in sandy soil
From: "Steve Jones" <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 17:25:29 -0700
If your soil is so sandy that your excavation will cave in, you may not be able
to use the US Tower foundation design.  Sandy soil might need a mat foundation
or an upside-down "T" design.

The US Tower foundation design is for "normal soils" which is defined in the
EIA/TIA-222F or G design standard they used.  Normal soil has a minimum
compressive strength in psi which sand doesn't meet.  You probably should talk
to a local structural or civil engineer about how you may need to modify the
foundation design.

73,

Steve
N6SJ