[TowerTalk] New Sheaves for Crank-Up

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] New Sheaves for Crank-Up
From: N3AE <n3ae@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 00:43:22 +0000 (UTC)
Hello tower experts,

I'm in the process of refurbishing an old EZ-Way crank-up and looking to
replace some lift cable sheaves which have excessive wear in the ID of the
groves. The current 3" OD metal sheaves are sized for 3/16" cable. The sheaves
are rather narrow, measuring 0.38" at the rim and 0.45" at the hub where the
ball bearing is pressed in. The tower sheave brackets will only accept a
maximum sheave width of 0.50", and that's tight.

While looking at McMaster-Carr's web site (
http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-rope-sheaves/=o71onb ), I was surprised to see
Nylon sheaves for wire rope applications. For the size I'm looking for, they
have the same load rating as the metal sheaves shown near the top of the web
catalog page.

Does anyone have experience with using Nylon sheaves in the lift systems for
crank-up towers? Somehow, this seems wimpy to me, but they do meet my max width
requirements and have the same load ratings as similar sized metal sheaves.

I've found another source that has what I need in stainless steel (with a
bronze bushing rather than a ball bearing), but still curious about the Nylon.

Thanks

Shawn - N3AE