[TowerTalk] Bose 901 antenna theory

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bose 901 antenna theory
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 07:00:15 -0700
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 09:30:39 -0400
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bose 901 antenna theory

> ##  What other speaker manufacturer  uses  10-15db of EQ  at both the
> bottom and top end..just to get their speakers to sound flat ?
> Nobody.   And that?s  exactly what they do on their Flagship Bose
> 901..now series 6 speakers.  Pointing 16 tiny speakers  at a gyproc
> wall, and bouncing the sound off it is  a class act....and fubar.

Well it's not like they expected the speaker to be flat and then had to
put a big band aid on it. It was designed that way. Lot's of speakers,
in particular active compact subs, require tons of funny business -
it's part of the design.

Yes lot's of Bose products, maybe all of them, are overpriced. But 901's
had a sound, when set up right, that was very pleasing to many people,
and the original price ($476 as I recall) really wasn't too bad.

(antenna, tower)

-Steve K8LX

&&&  $476.00 back in 1968 ?   That’s not too bad if that’s the case.
They were $1500.00   around  1974  if I remember correctly.
How much of that $478 do you think is for the included EQ ?
Probably at least $200.00    Inserting 10-15 db of eq at both ends
of the audio spectrum in most cases taxes the amp being used to
drive the system.

&&&  keyword is  set up right.  Pretty tough to hang a pair of 35 lb EACH
speakers from the ceiling..and route speaker wires up the wall, along the
ceiling,
and down the chain from the ceiling. Their 18 inch high floor stands are not
high enough.
You want the mid axis of each speaker  to be at ear level, when seated.
No steel threaded inserts used for the stands.  Even when correctly set up the
best you can,
the sound is muddy, like its smeared.   The stereo image doesn’t stay put, it
wanders about.
Fact is, you can get twice the sound quality for half the price..buying
something else.

Ok, that’s enough of Bose bashing for this week.

later... Jim   VE7RF

are usederhew