Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 Hardware Question

To: Gerard Jendraszkiewicz <jend@uchicago.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 Hardware Question
From: Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 14:26:05 -0700
The big deal is removing and replacing the antenna, not the time or cost of
a few replacement parts, so I would try to defer the NEXT R&R as long as
possible. Therefore, I would use all the new parts on hand and order
replacements for anything else that looks weathered or worn. I see no
reason not to put the antenna back up as strong as possible. If the removed
parts appear serviceable, hold on to them for possible emergency use.

73,

/Rick N6XI

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Gerard Jendraszkiewicz
<jend@uchicago.edu>wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> My Force 12 5BA is currently down to replace a broken truss wire. I also
> plan to replace the boom to mast plate. The one I had was a the older
> 'small' style.
>
> Now this brings me to the question.
>
> The U-Bolts that hold the elements to boom appear quite rusty, although it
> appears to be just surface rust. The nuts all look to be in good shape. Is
> there any thoughts to replacing the u-bolts ? The replacements I have
> obtained from Force 12 are the same Zinc plated type that were OEM on the
> antenna.
>
> I also have new insulators, but again the old insulators look just fine,
> they are a bit weathered but seem to be in good shape. Replace or not to
> replace ?
>
> The antenna has been up for about 10 years and is a very good performer.
> Any thoughts ? I think all the old u-bolts would have to be cut off for
> replacement.
>
> Comments ?
>
> Thanks
> Jerry, KE9I