Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 hardware and aluminum treatment for corrosion r

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 hardware and aluminum treatment for corrosion resistance
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 13:34:14 -0500
Sea going vessels with aluminum superstructures and welded-on-deck vertical aluminum channels (think channel iron but aluminum instead) for mounting tuners and or antennas with stainless steel fasteners connecting tinned copper crimp terminals when exposed to the environment for a few months show the following:

1. Corrosion/pitting of the aluminum channel near (within 1/2 inch or so) the drilled hole where the stainless fasteners secure the terminals. 2. Corrosion of the ID of the hole with the stainless machine screw through it. 3. Corrosion of the exposed coax braid. Braid turns to mush totally disintegrating.

Well du-uh... given the dissimilar metals in contact with each other and the salt water for electrolyte you have a galvanic cell which eats away at the less noble of the two galvanic cell plates, especially without the protection of a product such as coax seal.

So the marine radio equipment installer whose prime motivation is to make things look neat as he finishes the job, uses his "UNIVERSAL FIX" which is to apply some silicone rubber (RTV - room temperature vulcanizing) to all metal near or touching any of his handiwork. This slows the corrosive destruction by several days or maybe a few weeks or if luck id with you, several months..

I have seen coax cables terminated with PL-259 (properly installed) for connecting to a SO-259 female UHF connector (bulkhead mount style) with ample Silicone rubber over everything but with the mounting flange of the bulkhead mounted connector being eaten away by galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals in contact with an electrolyte present. The mounting holes were essentially gone from the connector and the holes in the aluminum substrate (channel) were eaten out considerably oversized.

If you install antennas, feedlines, etc. in conditions including significant quantities of airborne salt then you may experience some of the above undesired results.

Perhaps some of the more experienced and knowledgeable members of this august gathering can set forth a prescriptive methodology for preventing the above mentioned deleterious effects.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Jon Pearl - W4ABC