Re: [TowerTalk] HAM IV Height

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HAM IV Height
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 08:03:35 -0700
Roger,

I have both 2800s Yasesu & Orion. Both are excellent rotators, but with large differences in capabilities and that shows in the price. However, if you ever need to dig into the yaesu controller, your curses towards the designers will be without limit. Truly mickey mouse, it seems three different engineers couldn't agree on how to interconnect three pcbs so there are random soldered wires, connectors, and jumpers between the boards. Then the factory schematic is scrambled eggs. There are redo's that have been drawn that make logical layout sense. I replaced the pointer drive belt, actually an o-ring, so if you need one, I have 90 left over after I gave away some for others to repair their rotted one. The pointer gear train is another "interesting" design choice.

OTOH, either with a Green Heron controller is fine, but I don't think you can buy the yaesu w/o the yaesu controller. A used yaesu rotator plus new Green Heron is another way to go. The clean/grease/replace balls for the yaesu is no big deal.

My Orion was a very tight fit in the HDX589, and the yaesu went easily into the other 589.

Grant KZ1W