[TowerTalk] 80 meter inverted V -- CW and SSB

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80 meter inverted V -- CW and SSB
From: W7ZZ <w7zz@wavecable.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 20:19:05 -0700
N6RY and I designed, built and tested a truly broadband 80 meter dipole that offers SWR of 1.5:1 or better across 99% of the entire band, with the 1% being at 1.6:1 and at the absolute top of the band. We wrote an article on the antenna that had been accepted by CQ Magazine for publication but got "preempted" when QST, by sheer coincidence, ran an article on a very similar design while the CQ editing process was under way.

If anyone would like a copy of the article and all its graphs, photos, etc, let me know at w7zz@arrl.net and I'll set up a Dropbox file and send you a link to it. Not only does it go over the design of the antenna, it covers how to build it so that it will last, how to match the antenna using a simple series match made from 75 ohm coax and how to keep the feedline from radiating using a choke (including the design of the choke). I can also provide the actual EZNEC files for versions of this antenna on all of the low bands, 160-10m. These models will not run on the free version of EZNEC that comes with the ARRL Antenna Bookas the models have too many "segments." They require the full version (but not professional version) of EZNEC 4.0 or 5.0.

This antenna has been up and in operation at my station for a couple years nowat 80 feet. It is a fantastic performer. The EZNEC files model a refined version at 80' (mine was an early beta version but it works so well I never bothered to build our final version), 60' and at 35'. The dimensions of the antenna and the series match change at each height. I also have a 40m version up with even better results in terms of both SWR and performance. It is at about 80 feet also (with the models at 35, 60 and 80feet). I have had up a 20m version which also performed as predicted by EZNEC. We designed a 160 versionthat, while much better than a regular dipole, isn't anywhere near as good as the 80-10m versions.

Let me know if you're interested. 73, W7ZZ