Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 22:57:46 -0700
On 10/26/2013 10:09 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:
50 feet  beats out 34 feet hands down every time. 67 feet
beats out 48 feet every time too.   Be careful  about the TA program.
It assumes you are in the middle of a wheat field in Kansas.

BULLSHIT!

N6BV;s HFTA terrain analysis software uses USGS terrain data to model the behavior of horizontally polarized antennas. It is DAMN GOOD! If you live in flatland, NEC is sufficient. If you have irregular terriain, HFTA is critical. Lots of serious contesters and serious engineers around me (the SF Bay Area) have used it extensively and swear by it, including me.

73, Jim K9YC