[TowerTalk] Price of concrete

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Price of concrete
From: r miles <greenacres113@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 08:54:25 -0500 (EST)

One reason is the demand. A retailer told me several yr.s ago he was having problems getting cement. Concrete is rock, sand & cement. The Chinese were buying literally billions of yards of cement. The Dams in their 7 Gorges project was gg to require billions & billions of yards of concrete. Recently a TV program abt. the 7 Gorges project said China has moved over 1 million people from where the dams are going. Imagine moving a large city to build something.

Here concrete redi-mix vendors are using a 4 yard minimum delivery charge. You use one or two yards for a base you still pay for 4 yards even if they take the leftover. Most vendors charge a fee for 'waiting time' if you can't get the concrete off the truck in their allotted time. Most charge so much a minute after your time expires!

I just poured 1 yard for a base using the 60 lb. bags you get at the big box store. Way cheaper if you can do the work yourself. My Dad delivered redi-mix for over 25 yr.s so I know a few things to make pouring easier.

If you're not knowledgeable abt. concrete ask someone who knows. You do a bad pour & you can't just shovel it out & start again. Once it 'sets' it's there. Period.

K9IL