Re: [TowerTalk] Wiring Sky Needle tower for 220 VAC

To: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wiring Sky Needle tower for 220 VAC
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 11:49:35 -0800
On 11/5/2013 11:32 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
Another alternative is the Home Depot 6/4 aluminum cable, when I bought
165' for a 50amp  construction drop they called it "hot tub wire". About
a buck a foot, so more ampacity than #10 Cu at lower cost and ok for
direct burial.

Grant KZ1W

The problem with the US Tower motor is that it draws 20A plus
a surge when you start and the relays drop out if you get much below 120V. "Ampacity" refers to what the wire can carry without overheating, but on a long run like 250 feet, you need much heavier wire than what ampacity would dictate. My tower would only operate
on cool days, it was that close to not working.

I happened to get my 250 foot 4 by #10 extension cord for nothing.
I would never actually buy something like that new.

Rick N6RK