Re: [TowerTalk] Determining coax length?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Determining coax length?
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 09:04:35 -0500
Can't you measure it on the tower?  The length is not that critical, even
20 degrees out of phase shows little change in the pattern.

John KK9A

To:      "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject:         [TowerTalk] Determining coax length?
From:    Rich Hallman - N7TR <rich@n7tr.com>
Date:    Tue, 12 Nov 2013 13:49:17 +0000

I am stacking several mono banders with a stackmatch II.    I have the
antennas
mounted on the towers, but the coax feedlines are different lengths right
now.
  The Stackmatch wants coax lengths to both antennas to be the same
length, but
I'm unable to physically measure to the end of the feedpoints on the boom.
 All
coax is the same (RF Davis Buryflex)

Questions:

1)      How critical are the coax lengths to the stackmatch from each stacked
antenna?
2)      What tools can I use to determine the length of coax to each antenna?
(AIM 4170, MFJ, etc?)  and how do you determine equal lengths?

Thanks...
Rich

Rich N7TR
ex KI3V, N3AMK, WB3JOV