Re: [TowerTalk] Birds n towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Birds n towers
From: <w5gn@mxg.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 08:49:33 -0600
For what it's worth:

We have feeders we stock with shelled sunflower seeds for scores
of birds and dozens of squirrels.
We switched to the (unfortunately, more expensive) unshelled because
they left nasty piles of those shells under the feeder.

We have eight different groups of different species of birds that come to feed
between 7am and 10am typically.

As best we can tell, because they are shelled, the birds don't linger
at the feeder AND they don't leave their crap under either the tower
nor the cottonwood nor the trees in our adjacent property; we do
see them stage on the local power line behind the property, but even there,
there is very little bird droppings under the power line.
They seem to make 3 to 5 passes from the power line to the open
feeders and back and then each entire group flies off.

So maybe providing the RIGHT food source is an alternative solution?

73

Barry, W5GN

(the unshelled leave a massive pile of shells beneath the feeder)