Re: [TowerTalk] Bundling of tower coax and control lines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bundling of tower coax and control lines
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 05:23:45 -0500
On 11/16/2013 2:04 PM, Jim Miller wrote:
Light scatters as a function of wavelength and particle size to interact
with. You see the results of scattering when you look on the horizon and on
one day see a white haze which is scattering off water and other large
molecules for all visible wavelengths (hence white) and on other days it
may be blue to the horizon where that wavelength is scattering strongly off
oxygen molecules strongly vs longer wavelengths.

Take some photos of the horizon from a ridge line or from a few
thousand feet from an older small airplane using B & W film.
The windshield and windows in older planes were not UV protective
and B & W film is sensitive to UV light. Take photos with color
film as well. Compare the results. Quite often you can not see,
or barely make out the horizon in the B & W photos and it will
only be a bit hazy in the color shots. That haze in the B&W shots
is from the UV light.  .

Pilots flying  those old airplanes at 10,000 feet could get some
really bad sunburns wearing a short sleeve shirt,  Course some
would take their shirts off to get a fast tan, but usually got burnt.
Those planes might have had a 1/8th inch windows although I think
some were only 1/16th.

Mine had a 1/2 inch windshield with 1/4" side windows that were
UV protected and tinted.  It gets pretty bright up there above the clouds..
Exposure increases about 10 to 12% per 1000 feet.
BTW, reflections from new snow can double the UV exposure. I don't know
about sand, Google is your friend,

73

Roger (K8RI)

UV continues this strong scattering behavior with oxygen molecules.
Anything that gets past the ozone layer will repeatedly scatter with little
absorption resulting in it coming at you form all angles regardless of
attempts to screen the direct sunlight. The first order criteria for
resulting exposure is the amount of horizon you can see whether "in the
shade or not."

Jim ab3cv

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net