Re: [TowerTalk] Spam apparently from me

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Spam apparently from me
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 06:07:12 -0600
Pete, part of the problem is that the "bad guys" get hold of contact lists and send spam to all those listed. You may not be the one with the malware on their computer. If someone you send mail to is infected (usually without their knowledge or consent) the lurking malware will grab all the visible email addresses. This is why in "safe computing" you never send multiple addresses "in the clear" but instead use distribution lists or put all the addresses in the Bcc box instead of the "To" box thus denying access to the addresses of any third party.

Again, all it takes to be used as a source of spam against your will and without your knowledge is to have someone send out a message with your email address visible to malware lurking on another addressee's computer. Spreading the word about having "Safe Computing" will help control this annoying problem. Placing a bounty on the jerks responsible might also help but someone somewhere would be offended because it wouldn't be politically correct.

In this instance I have removed all other addresses from the To line and placed them on the Bcc line.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Pete Smith N4ZR