[TowerTalk] FW: Rust & paint

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Rust & paint
From: "KM5VI" <km5vi@flukey.cc>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 09:55:20 -0600
Opinion:  I used Rustoleum Rust Reformer once on some lawn furniture 2 years
ago and I just was not very impressed.  I did not see that it reformed any
surface rust (after pre-brushing) and two years later the furniture is
starting to rust through the paint coat again.  I should have instead used a
surface passivator followed by conventional primer and paint.  You may want
to look up a product called "Rust Cure" which is essentially phosphoric
acid.  Phosphoric acid is very effective in passivating steel surfaces.

I have also used the Rustoleum (Professional Series) Cold Galvanizing.  I
would describe it as a heavy solids, zinc based, lacquer primer.  I always
use a topcoat of paint over it because I'm not sure it would provide a long
term finish by itself albeit I have never tried.   You may also find it
useful to take a look at LPS Cold Galvanizing Compound.

Good luck.

Matt
KM5VI