Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Change in SWR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Change in SWR
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 04:22:30 -0800
On 12/4/2013 8:44 PM, Matt wrote:
It is easy science and engineering to make the tower base infinitely large,
the cable permanently greasy, the ground plane perfectly conductive, and the
guy anchors infinitely stout.  The real work comes in deciding how much
large, greasy, conductive, and stout you can get for a buck and stay within
the desired safety and performance parameters.

Exactly right. I recall a great story from my days in EE school. A mathematician and an engineer were out drinking, and noted a lovely young thing at the other end of the bar. They wagered that they could move half the distance between themselves and the sweet young thing with each drink. The mathematician never got there, but the engineer got close enough for practical purposes.

Engineering is the practical application of science. I just returned from two days at a meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, where I heard many presentations about exactly that -- the practical application of science to solve problems in acoustics. I told one myself, about an acoustician who had died a year ago and was being honored, and it was one he had told to a group in a workshop I attended 30 years previous.

His client was the owner of a home recording studio, and the problem was that he was hearing excessive traffic noise. The "knee jerk" solution was quite expensive -- a room within a room with floating floors, air space between rooms, isolating doors, and so on. The acoustician surveyed the situation, did some mental sums of costs of various solutions, and told his client to hire a paving contractor to fill the potholes in the road.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Jim K9YC