Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: RG-149: 50 ohm/70 ohm - does it matter?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Hans Hammarquist" <hanslg@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: RG-149: 50 ohm/70 ohm - does it matter?
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 15:59:12 -0500
1:2 or 2:1 ???

SWR with 50 ohm load and 75 ohm feeder the SWR is likely to be 75/50 = 1.5:1 AT RESONANCE point of the antenna. Once you deviate from the resonant point, it is no longer a 50 ohm resistive load. It will be resistive +/- reactive. And the resistive part will not likely be 50 ohms.

Now, you can use a tuner in the shack to BS the amp into thinking there is 50 ohms out there. Or you can put a remote auto tuner at the antenna and be sure of a good, matched load.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
60 Meters www.60metersonline.net