Re: [TowerTalk] Filter location and grounding rods

To: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Filter location and grounding rods
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 09:23:49 -0600
John, Sometimes the soil is difficult but not impossible to drive 8 ft rods into. When conditions are marginal there are a couple tips that might help you as they have myself. When I use a sledge hammer to drive a ground rod and the soil is resisting my efforts the rod begins to bend and then further pounding is futile. If you are using 5/8 inch rods just place a length of 3/4 inch ID pipe (scrap or rusty is OK) a couple feet long over the rod and put a little tape on it to hold it in the region that is starting to bow. This will keep it going and not bending excessively. I keep a couple lengths of pipe handy, a longer one for early on and a shorter one for later.

If you have, can borrow, or rent a "demo hammer" (small electric jack hammer) larger and more powerful than most hammer drills. you can use it to drive rods into the ground. There are special tools to put into the hammer in place of the chisel tips. It has a cup on the end of the tool to make it easy to keep the hammer on the rod while it is hammering. These demo hammers can be a handful but with a good ladder or two ladders and two guys it makes the job easier. A demo hammer has let me drive rods that were totally impossible with a T-post driver or sledge.

Good luck and 73,

Patrick NJ5G

-----Original Message----- From: john@kk9a.com