[TowerTalk] Tower Yarns was:Re: Fwd: Welding Rebar

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Yarns was:Re: Fwd: Welding Rebar
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 08:10:41 -0500
N4KG used to - may still- just base some guyed towers in the dirt. Back in the 70's, we had a 20-foot Rohn 25 tower with a Classic 36 on it, on the roof of a State Department annex in DC. We were not allowed to pierce the roof, so the base was stabilized with 3 "guys" right on the roof, tied off to cast-iron vent pipes. And, you guessed it, the tower was guyed to the same vents. To my amazement, it lasted 8 years, until a microburst blew the whole thing over the side, where it hung "secured", IIRC, by the feedline and maybe one guy. God takes care of the ignorant, you'd have to say, or else the whole thing would have wound up in 22nd Street NW.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.