Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Base Removal

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Base Removal
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:17:42 -0600
There are far better choices of explosives than dynamite for this job. Really high velocity stuff to fracture/cut the concrete.
It is nowhere near as loud as dynamite.

Since 9-11 license for explosives has become much harder to obtain. For your own personal use, not for hire, and on your own property a lisc was pretty simple top get for a ranch or farm but now things are much tighter.

How is winter progressing at the OP's QTH? You can drill deep holes in the concrete and fill with water if the weather is cold enough to freeze it. The expansion when it freezes will crack the concrete. Stone quarries used to drive dry wooden wedges into cracks or cut grooves in solid rock and then apply water to the wedge so that it would take in the water and swell up splitting off great chunks of stone.

I would personally NOT go with the crane.

Patrick NJ5G

-----Original Message----- From: K7LXC@aol.com