Re: [TowerTalk] hosting a commercial service on my tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] hosting a commercial service on my tower
From: Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:05:25 -0500
My suggestion: If you are in a small community, go talk with the planning
board.  Many planning boards have a "workshop session" that is separate
from the formal meeting.  Before going, obtain an accurate description of
the company that wants to use the tower. They may be agreeable if it is a
small local company that wants to extend their coverage a bit. Explain
what you get from it: free broadband connection.

Planning boards in smaller communities are just plain people who volunteer
their time. (It costs me two evenings every month.) If there is any
resistance from the board, forget the idea. However, they may say it is a
great idea because it avoids having another tower somewhere else.

If you are in a larger community (in terms of local government), forget
it.  They will have no choice but to run you through the wringer.

Bill
W2WO