Re: [TowerTalk] Need to communicate with the sysop/moderstor for TT.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need to communicate with the sysop/moderstor for TT.
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 17:00:01 -0700

Very doubtful. There are many ways that could have happened without TowerTalk being hacked. Most likely somebody mined the TowerTalk archives to collect the email addresses of various posters, and then sent an email to you with a fake return address to make it look like it came from someone you wouldn't be suspicious of. It happens all the time and they don't even need to hack your address book.

Often, the email comes from an unexpected address but with a recognized name assigned to it. For example, I might get an email from dateme@spam.phish.ru that somebody set up with a TowerTalk name assigned to it. That doesn't require any hacking skills at all to set up and all the information they need is publicly available in online forums. When I see a suspicious email I always check the actual return address, and it is amazing how many fall into this category.

73,
Dave   AB7E