[TowerTalk] 20 meter stack problem

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 20 meter stack problem
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 21:10:33 -0500 (EST)
I came back from vacation to find my 20 meter stack not working  right.  To
make it short, the bottom stack 100/50 is fine, SWR is the  nominal
1.2-1.5.  Of course if one part has to go, it is the top one.

The top stack, 200/150 is the problem.  Directly connected at  the base of
the tower the SWR is around 3.5 and drops to around 1.7 at around  15.6 mHz.
 I have not gone up the tower yet to check it out hoping to get a  couple
of suggestions before doing so.  Physically, from the ground, the  antennas
look fine, and with the SWR at least getting near a "normal" reading,  even
if out of the band, I think the baluns are good.  The  antennas are M2 with
1:1 baluns.

I do have a phasing harness made up of a tee-connector with two 1/4  wave
75 ohm matches leading to the two antennas as well as a couple of a other
coax connectors.  My hope and thinking is that perhaps one of these  suffered
some water intrusion even though they were pretty well  waterprooofed.
Since I wasn't home, and we did have t-storms, lightning  could also be a
source
of the problem.  By the way since the antennas do  have baluns I checked
the resistance and it was about 1 ohm....pretty much what  you expect, but
that could be due to a short on the line.

Any ideas before I climb?    I plan to take my  trusty MFJ259 and a
multimeter and check all connectors that I can  reach.

Bill K4XS