Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: 20 meter stack problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: 20 meter stack problem
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 06:19:55 -0800
I am sure you already did this, but check it with an SWR bridge and transmitter
before making the climb.

My MFJ259 (any small signal analyzer for that matter) has issues in the
presence of strong RF.  Really noticeable when that RF is CW or SSB but can
fool you if it is from a constant source such as an AM broadcast station.  I
have an an AM array a couple of miles from my house that makes my MFJ259 almost
useless.

You are right, its always the top one that goes.  I put my KT34XA 10 feet above
my 2 el 40 meter figuring the 40M was going to have element droop and would
probably break first.  Guess which one isn't working?  I built steps to go on
my mast but it adds a whole new element to tower climbing when you step off the
flat top and start going up the pipe.

Earl
N8SS