Re: [TowerTalk] HF winch

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HF winch
From: Mike Reublin NF4L <nf4l@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 09:45:01 -0500
Thanks Patrick,

Even considering the load halving of the pulleys, it seems like at best it
would be on the or above sane operating parms. BTW I had a hard root beer the
other day. Pretty tasty!

The tower isn't up yet, so the first trial would be raising it. The battery
charger is a good idea, and I thought of one of those starter packs, but
haven't looked at specs yet.

A better idea may be an AC powered winch.

Mike NF4L

On Feb 3, 2014, at 9:08 AM, Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net> wrote:

> I think you will be greatly disappointed trying to run that winch with a 20
> amp supply.  If you insist on trying, consider that it is better to
> experiment by trying to lift the tower than to lower it.  If the winch were
> used to lower the load via its "power out" capability you might get the tower
> down and then find you can't raise it back up.  Those winches are notorious
> current hogs and as you may have noted by the duty cycle specs, are rated at
> the edge of or past the envelope.  I hope you are successful and safe in your
> efforts.  If it works just fine lifting the tower on a 20 amp supply with no
> other assistance then I owe you a Root Beer float the next time we are
> together.
>
> The brush type DC motor in that puppy doesn't care about good filtering or
> precise voltage control. If you can come by a good used xformer that will put
> out 12 to 18 volts at 50 amps then slap on a full wave diode bridge rated for
> maybe e about 100 amps (put it on a heat sink) and you are ready to go.
> Alternatively find a 24 to 30 volt xformer with a center tap and put on a two
> diode bridge with cooling for the bridge and go for it.  A slow blow fuse or
> thermal breaker rated at or above the max current in normal use would be a
> good idea too.  Another possibility is a heavy duty battery charger,
> typically on wheels and will have a start position that sources serious amps,
> well above the normal charge rates.  These are duty cycle limited so choose
> wisely "grasshopper" and consider adding a fan to lengthen the duty cycle. I
> have seen working used units go for under $50.  Check the specs on the Harbor
> Freight u nit.  It might just make the cut.  Consider you will have a terrif
 ic battery charger/jump starter as well as a winch power supply.