[TowerTalk] MFJ-989C

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ-989C
From: Tom Osborne <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 10:19:41 -0800
HI All

I purchased a MFJ-898C roller inductor tuner that I got for a really good price. It had a problem that it took a while to figure out.

It would tune an antenna at low power fine, but at high power, the SWR would slowly creep up and not stay tuned right. I tried all sorts of things to fix it like spraying the contacts with cleaner, etc.

Yesterday I happened to notice the roller inside the coil that contacts the coil wire looked black and dirty. I sprayed it with contact cleaner and took a real small screwdriver and cleaned the slot in the roller where it contacts to the coil.

After cleaning it, it now works like it should and the SWR stays put, even at high power with no arcing, etc.

Posted this because maybe someone else is having the same problem

No comments about MFJ stuff needed - I've heard 'em all  :-)  73
Tom W7WHY