[TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Tower regulations for home brew towers in the US?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Tower regulations for home brew towers in the US?
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 08:48:06 -0600 (CST)

Markku:

When I constructed my tower (Trylon Titan T-500-64) in 2001, I was required by
local regulations to secure a construction permit from my county headquarters.
It cost me about $100 USD. The permit documentation that I submitted for review
included the government's application form that I completed, plus a drawing of
my property and where the tower would be located. It also included
manufacturer's drawings but no engineer's certification.

The conditions of the permit required that I have the foundation hole plus
reinforcing steel and the bottom section inspected by a county inspector prior
to pouring concrete. My installation passed that first inspection. I then
poured the concrete and began building the rest of the tower sections on top of
the bottom section. When the entire project was completed a few weeks later, I
was required to have a final inspection. My tower passed that inspection, too.

If I were to install a second tower today (not possible due to limited space in
my back yard), I would have to secure another permit. However, this time the
application would have to include a licensed engineer's stamped certification
of the adequacy of the design. The design requirements are much more stringent
today than in 2001. Also, I would also have to ensure that, if the tower were
to fall over at the base (Trylon Titans typically fail in the middle
somewhere), the tower would fall entirely onto my property. No such requirement
existed in 2001. Other government jurisdictions in my area require public
hearings for tower permits.

Some jurisdictions in the US do not require such painstaking permit work
beforehand but most require some type of government review. As for home-built
towers, I do not know with certainty, but I imagine that very few government
entities in the US would permit a home-brewed tower without first seeing
detailed engineering specifications and modeling. To save money, most of us US
Hams purchase a manufactured tower that has design drawings already available.

73 de
Gene Smar AD3F