[TowerTalk] FW: FW: Mast Wall Thickness

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: FW: Mast Wall Thickness
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 13:40:03 -0600
Sorry to cause confusion.

deformation (bending) of the mast occurs while the stresses are present.    If
the stresses present exceed the yield strength of the mast material, then
permanent deformation (failure) of the mast occurs.  If the stresses exceed the
ultimate strength of the mast material, then material fracture will occur
(which usually results in rapid catastrophic failure - "breakage").   We
therefore select the mast and position the loads so that the stress resulting
from maximum loading does not exceed the yield strength of the material.  In
fact, prudent design requires a margin of safety wherein material yield
strength exceeds the peak anticipated stress by some factor of safety.

Increasing the tube wall thickness of the mast reduces the peak stress
developed for a given loading.  In the case of a mast installation, the bending
stress in the tube usually comprises the vast majority of peak stress.   The
percentage of bending stress reduction that can be realized by increasing the
tube wall thickness was given in the previous post for a 2" mast without
changing loading or length of the mast.

Increasing the mast diameter, or changing the loading and support points on the
mast also change the bending stress developed - so placement of antenna loads
and how & where the mast is supported also determine the safe "payload" limit.
 Similarly, increasing the wall thickness or using a material with a higher
yield strength also increase the safe "payload" limit.

Hope helps and also clears up the confusion.

Matt
KM5VI