[TowerTalk] Leaning Tower of Challenge

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Leaning Tower of Challenge
From: "Wilson" <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:34:57 -0400
The base is fine, never meant to hold the tower up.
I doubt the few pounds of ice on the wire were a factor.  How were the winds?
Was the maple swaying much?
The tower is obviously strong enough to move the base, so just pull it with
come a longs, as recommended.
Pull slowly, a little each day, and verify that it’s moving with an
inclinometer or plumb bob.  Rate effects are significant re this sort of soil
deformation!

If you want to do a little math, get the max allowable bending moment from Rohn
(if they will help) and you can easily calculate how hard to pull...just a
little trig. Half the max is likely more than you need to get back up.

Dig around the base a bit and soak it, if you want to make the pull a little
easier.

I’d say 30 yr on a cheap installation is pretty darn good!  If you put a loop
around the base of the stumps, so it can’t slip up, it’ll likely hold several
more years.  My 50HP tractor can’t begin to break off or uproot a 6” pine
stump, until it rots nearly away.

WL