Re: [TowerTalk] Discoverer 7-2 or Cushcraft xm-240

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Discoverer 7-2 or Cushcraft xm-240
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 08:22:49 -0500
Correcting a few things on the XM240 before putting it up would help. Mine collected water inside the elements. The water ran down the X-hat and into the hole used for mounting the X-hat. The plugs on the ends of the elements served to keep the water inside. The loading coil is wound on a hollow tube. That allows water to collect inside the loading coil - not good at all. I plugged the hole at the X-hat, drilled some weep holes and removed the element end caps. I did insert some stainless pot scrubber material in the ends of the elements.

I also didn't like the sparks jumping from the reflector to the boom when lightning was close, so I grounded the reflector to the boom. The only thing that changes is the resonant frequency of the boom, which could be a consideration for interaction with other antennas.

I think the boom to mast clamp could stand some improvement also.

Jerry, K4SAV