[TowerTalk] LY2KZ and HFTA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LY2KZ and HFTA
From: "RDStraw" <RDStraw@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 15:35:26 -0700
In a thread to LY2KZ, Jim, K9YC, wrote:

1) It only predicts the behavior of HORIZONTALLY polarized antennas
Delta loops can be built so that they are vertically or horizontally
polarized.

N6BV: You can simulate a horizontally polarized delta loop by choosing
"Dipole" for antenna type in HFTA with the height entered as the average
height of that delta loop over ground.

3) The most difficult part of using HFTA is finding terrain data for
your QTH and importing it into the program.

N6BV: Jim is correct about finding digital terrain data for HFTA being the
most difficult part of using HFTA. I suggest you download the latest
HFTA.pdf operating manual at:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Product%20Notes/Antenna%20Book/hfta.pdf .

You will want to read the section dealing with downloading SRTM space
shuttle files, starting on page 28.

4) To predict how well HFTA will work for any given path, you need
historical statistical data for that path. The only sources I know of
are the ARRL Antenna Book and from N6BV, who wrote HFTA.

N6BV: Download the Europe.zip file and unzip the LY statistical elevation
files at:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Product%20Notes/Antenna%20Book/Europe.zip

73, Dean, N6BV