[TowerTalk] Station Grounding

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Station Grounding
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 01:48:20 -0400
There are some essentials in the previous thread, some buried, some touched on, and some missed and it's unlikely I'll catch them all.

These are my thoughts from a practical approach.

Ideally all the equipment is connected to a Single Point Ground (SPF) through equal length grounds without creating ground loops.

It is almost impossible for most stations to do this in practice, but we can come close.

A starting point is a low resistance common grounding plate where all conductors enter the shack. Right away we run into problems because even if the electrical, telephone, and internet enter close to each other, they typically do not enter at the same point. There is surge protection available that will handle these at a common point. This reduces pulses coming in on these lines and puts them very close to the same potential.

All my coax has the shield, grounded to both the top and bottom of the tower. My ground system consists of a network of over 600 feet os bare #2 wire, CadWelded(TM) to 32 or 33 8' ground rods.

Now the problem is all of these reach the station via different length paths while the coax and control cables usually enter from the opposite side of the house.

So, lets just put a big grounding plate where the coax and control cables enter the shack. It takes little to route the network, telephone and internet to this plate as well. The AC to the outlets in the shack could also be routed this way with protection mounted on the plate. Now, all the lines to the rigs and computers in the shack have a common ground. Polyphasers, and lines all have their protection grounded to this plate

Typically, the interconnecting cables between station components are in the neighborhood of 18" unless they are custom cut. I find that they are about the same length as the ground leads to a common point. More on this in a bit.

We've now reduced the conducted voltages that come in on one or more lines to what we/I hope is a manageable level, but there are still induced voltages. Here the question is one of the grounds and equipment interconnects. Near as I can tell, IF the grounds and interconnects are the same lengths AND the follow similar paths they do not form loops. They are cut by the same force lines at the same time and should have about the same voltage at the same polarity, Hence the interconnects and the grounds should should not create a problem. Routing differences such as short interconnects and longer grounds to a point can create loops which is not good. Differences in lengths and routing they can create loops or parallel circuits. I do plan on installing a ground bar behind the desk, but more for neatness and ease of use rather than lightning protection.

Lightning is of a power that we seldom have to deal with. My station has taken many direct strikes to the antennas with some damage "up there", but none to the equipment since the grounding system was finished. I've stated before that it has taken 17 visually verified direct hits to the tower and antennas. So it's likely there have been more. I do know there have been many, very powerful nearby strikes

In addition to the regular problems, I run SO2R with 2 stations connected to the same antennas and ground systems, but in different buildings fed with different electrical services.

My goal is to minimize any spikes getting to the equipment so by the time we get to the rigs, the magnitude is something that can be handled with good practice. Lightning is unpredictable and there is little we can do if hit with one of those "super strikes".

The rigs (except amps)are/will be on a 3000 watt UPS, voltage regulated, sine wave generator/line conditioner as soon as I replace the outlet. (kinda pricey) I don't know if one of these could be set to regulate for the 110 on the valuable antiques.

Jim, if you read this, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this installation/approach.

73,

Roger (K8RI)