Re: [TowerTalk] 75 or 70 Ohm twinlead or ladderline cable - does it exis

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75 or 70 Ohm twinlead or ladderline cable - does it exist?
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 19:07:10 +0000
One of the problems with using ordinary twin flex as an HF transmission line is the relatively high dielectric losses associated with the typical insulation materials used; so our usual assumption that dielectric losses can be ignored at HF may be untrue.

If we take RG213 as reference, the dielectric losses at 3.5MHz are 3% of the total, at 10MHz they are 6% of the total, and the dielectric losses don't exceed the copper losses until we get above 2500MHz.

However, measurements on a PVC insulated twin pair showed that the dielectric losses at 3.5MHz were 27% of the total, at 10MHz they were 40% of the total, and the dielectric losses exceeded the copper losses at any frequency above 23MHz.

Steve G3TXQ