Re: [TowerTalk] TIC Potentiomenter

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TIC Potentiomenter
From: Scott <scottb@radios-online.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 20:27:40 -0400
John et all I have been working on this issue with Prosistel rotors for the last few months and have successfully developed a retrofit kit to get rid of that ridiculous pot that fills with moisture, this will be sold through GH very soon as soon as I get them finished and documented to my satisfaction. That being said knowing the insides of these Tic boxes pretty well, I would say that it's not a difficult thing to do. Just some machine work, a few rare earth magnets and a GRI hermetically sealed switch.

You may want to try changing the timing value for the GH box for the period that it looks for input. Can be done with the GH software...have seen this before. Jeff can fill you in more on this if need be.

Most of these ham rotors I've found in the last 35 years to be a mishmoshed pile of junk. If the mechanics don't break down, the direction indicator stinks. The GRI switch is the way to go, they are rated for something like 50 million cycle before failure at 5v and are hugely reliable.

If you would like, send me a picture of what you have for a motor and I can see if I can put you something together for it.
Scott
N1CX
scottb@radios-online.com