[TowerTalk] Verticals

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Verticals
From: r miles <greenacres113@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 09:48:44 -0400 (EDT)

A lot depends on what your useage is. If you want to wrk. mostly 1000 mi. or less away stn.s put up a wire. Verticals have lower take off angles. The signal skips over the closer stn.s. We all could give examples of whether we like verticals or not. I've had 6 different verticals over the yr.s. Mono-band & trap verticals. Since I'm a DXer they almost always have wrkd better for me than a wire. A wire at 90' as going to work better than most trap or mono verticals but few of us can put wire that high.
Verticals require a radial system.
Currently I have multiple towers with yagis on some HF bands. I have a HyTower for 40/80 & 160m. Actually the 160m is an L off the HT.Wire & vertical combo. Being mostly a DXer if I could have only one antenna it would be a HyTower. The HT is a hybrid. Not a trapped vertical and not a monoband one either. If cost is very important, wire is less expensive than a commercial or homebrew vertical. Again it's who you want to work that should be your guide. And your wallet too. Your mileage may vary of course.

K9IL